Effielder
Newly Registered

Leaves falling off

Hi everyone my grandpa just died and we inherited a pomegranate bonsai tree. The tree was kept outside in the hot Las Vegas heat. We have brought it to the cooler weather of boise ID. We keep it inside and have had it for about 3 weeks all the sudden the leaves have turned yellow and are starting to fall off. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to keep this tree alive I will be so upset if this tree dies. Please help!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Poms winter is its dry season. Balancing the need for water and the need for dry is an art form.

If the soil drys out totally, the tree will die.

Pomegranate is a tropical, you'll need some cover protection starting about October, but its an out of doors tree till then.

Check water daily (its not poms winter yet), with a chop-stick or wooden splinter. With hold water if chopstick comes out damp. water if dry.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

This, how dry is too dry for Poms and bay laurel is learned. you may have to kill a few to learn it.

I just bought my third bay laurel this week. I have this sort of weak moment about every five years...

imafan26
Mod

I have bay laurel. in pots, they are not bonsai, but they are very slow to grow. Clay pots work best for the bigger ones. The smaller ones you have to remember not to over pot and make the soil mix light with good drainage.

I didn't know that about pomegranates, I never had problems, but I live in the tropics so they are always outdoor trees. I just had them in the ground or in pots and watered them daily along with everything else. They are very tolerant of drying out and are o.k. even if I miss a day or two.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”