mraeside
Newly Registered

Pepper Tree - I hope someone can assist me

Hi I have a 17 year old Bonsai Pepper Tree, received as a gift two years ago, it was very beautiful for 1 year, however this spring, I repotted it in a new container and with soil purchased from a Bonsai outlet in Ireland. However, since then I made, I think a major mistake, I gave the tree a feed with diluted tomato feed, since then, the leaves keep dropping, and when new ones begin to grow they fall off imediately. Once it began to fail after the feed, I repotted it again into new Bonsai soil.

Anyone got any idea how to save my tree, its struggling to stay alive.

mfromireland

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mraeside,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I doubt that one feeding of a properly mixed, or especially over-diluted, fertilizer is responsible for any problems. I suspect that there was a reaction to being re-potted and before it could recover it was disturbed again.

If you were able to manage it well before, continue with what you were doing. Watering is going to change from the, presumably, heavier soil it was in originally. Since it is dropping leaves this will also change the equation. Monitor the soil carefully for moisture and only water as necessary.

No more drastic changes please, just try to maintain a steady environment and hope for the best. Sorry I can't offer anything more substantial.

Norm

mraeside
Newly Registered

Hi Norm

Thank you for your response, sadly it was a knee jerk reaction to repot and I just cannot seem to get it back on track. In Ireland we have been having an extremely warm summer (rare event) so I had to move it from its normal space which receives a lot of very direct sunlight which leads to a very warm room, to a slightly cooler and darker space - last year I did the same and the tree thrived. However it feels like everything is now stressing the situation.

I will take your advice and leave it alone and monitor carefully the watering - I will let you know how it goes.

mrae

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”