Mirage.Kai
Newly Registered

PLEASE HELP! MY FICUS IS DYING :(

Hello Everyone,
I received a ficus tree from my boyfriend last year for my birthday and up until a few weeks ago its been doing really really well. More recently I have noticed that one half of the tree looks like its dying and shriveling away. It's very soft and squishy to the touch while the other side is thriving with leaves and feels very firm. We got the ficus from Sam's club as one of those 'just add ice' (which is obsurd). It has been getting water as needed when I notice that the soil is dry about 1 or 1 1/2 inch down. Unfortunately it doesn't get the best sun light anymore as I got a promotion at work and had to move offices. While its not totally deprived of sunlight it is not the same quality of light that it has been accustom to getting. I also gave it a bit of fertilizer becuase I was under the impression that it was 'growing' season. I wonder if it may have been the move or the fertilizer that cause this but I would hate to lose this little tree. :( I have become very attached to it. Someone Please Help Me :'( I have included before and after pictures
Attachments
after 4
after 4
after 3
after 3
after 2
after 2
after 2.PNG (172.08 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
after 1
after 1
after 1.PNG (238.08 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Before
Before
before 1.PNG (184.24 KiB) Viewed 1917 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The leaves don't look bad... Mushrooms in your soil can be a sign of overwatering. How much of the soil is drying out before watering?

Mushy wood is also an indication of over watering.

I doubt 1 application of fertilizer did that, unless you used one that wasn't compatible with your plant. Did you follow the label directions?

Mirage.Kai
Newly Registered

I didnt think I was over watering but I could be wrong. ive been using the 'chopstick method' about 1 to 1 1/2 inches down and if its dry I water enough to soak the soil. the mushrooms did pop up at one point but I havent seen them in weeks.

I did follow the instructions on the fertilizer but I'm not sure if its a compatible fertilizer. ive only given it one 'dose' of Miracle Gro indoor Plant Food Spikes.

should I move the plant to where it can get better light? or repot the plant in correct ficus soil? ive been meaning to repot it but I'm not sure of size pot is correct.

Mirage.Kai
Newly Registered

Lindsaylew82 wrote:The leaves don't look bad... Mushrooms in your soil can be a sign of overwatering. How much of the soil is drying out before watering?

Mushy wood is also an indication of over watering.

I doubt 1 application of fertilizer did that, unless you used one that wasn't compatible with your plant. Did you follow the label directions?

I didnt think I was over watering but I could be wrong. ive been using the 'chopstick method' about 1 to 1 1/2 inches down and if its dry I water enough to soak the soil. the mushrooms did pop up at one point but I havent seen them in weeks.

I did follow the instructions on the fertilizer but I'm not sure if its a compatible fertilizer. ive only given it one 'dose' of Miracle Gro indoor Plant Food Spikes.

should I move the plant to where it can get better light? or repot the plant in correct ficus soil? ive been meaning to repot it but I'm not sure of size pot is correct.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”