Peaceful0ne

Seeds! Oh seeds...

Hey everyone!

Some of you might remember me from a few months back flooding this forum with questions about bonsai.

So after months of research and questions (and a little practice, played around growing some English IVY) I decide I'm going to attempt to grow either a Yew or Oak bonsai (outdoors). I decided to go with one of these so they can deal with the crazy weather we have here in the UK. I have spoken to one of the local tree nursery's and going to meet some of the workers there (family business) to get some tips and possibly a sapling or seeds!! I'm so excited!

If you have any tips for starting out or things to watch out for please share!

Thanks,
Peaceful

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Does your home area have a free-cycle? if it does (or craigslist) I find both an excelent source of trees shrubs being removed for remodeling. And your experimentation. You need a couple fat old landscape stumps to tide you over while seedlings bulk up.

I'd seek out a nursery that sells seedlings and get a bundle and plant those to field.

You can set a few out on a paver, to create a shallow radial root pattern, or root-over-rock. By tieing the seedlings roots onto the rock of your choice, and planting that to field. This latter is easy with a seedling and a lot less-so with a more mature stump.

Starting from a nut will add two to four more years in-field.

Personally I favor white-oak family (like Q Robur), over red oaks. Whites are faster.

if I can find bundles of 5 to 100 seedlings at competitive prices here, I bet you can there...

The only tree I routinely grew out from seed (and would do so again) are Texas Ebony. I am unwilling to pay 2-400 per tree, and keeping them small works for me with this tender tree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, understand that starting from seed is a VERY slow way to get to bonsai. You will have years of just growing out a little seedling before it becomes something you could work with at all.

You can check out nursery end of season sales for shrubs and trees that didn't sell. That way you can get a good size subject with a decent trunk to cut down. Or you can just look around your yard for volunteers. I always have lots of tree and shrub volunteers, that have to be removed from where they are.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If your dreams are taking you to propagate trees for others, brush up on your Latin, and buy bundles of seedlings that are the best possible examples. Picea Abies aint Picea Glehnnii. Just as good just aint so.

The better Japanese maples are knees and ankles smaller (Hime) than their bulkier cousins. Now I love my Bloodgoods but they are second-best at the very best. Spending ten years with a tree than just isn't what you wanted, planted to field, is ten years you aint never gettin' back... I'm just sayin'.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”