Dianaupp
Newly Registered

Japanese Maple bonsai gift

image.jpg
My daughter gave me a lovely bonsai for my birthday last month. Instructions say to keep it outside. But I live in Arizona!!! Not Phoenix hot/dry but only 10 degrees cooler. Since we are at 4500 ft elevation it gets mighty cold in the winters too (-10 last year).

Should I throw it away now or is there any hope of growing this indoors? Every J.maple that I have seen around here always has bad wind burn and looks ugly outside.

I have been soaking it 2x week per instructions and have it next to north window with ac vent covered.
Attached picture reference: pot is 6"x8" and trunk maybe 10" height. Blind pulled just for better photo.

Thanks for your comments.

Diana

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A maple has just about no chance indoors in central heat-A/C. If you have a ramada or other shaded space it should do OK there if you learn how to water it.

Watering:
Use a wooden splinter or chop stick to poke soil daily. If the chopstick comes out damp, your tree does not need to be watered. If it is dry to touch its time to top-water liberally.

When it comes to dormant storage this fall, you have plenty of time to do your own research before then.

Dianaupp
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply Tom. That is consistent with my reading. Oh well. I will just enjoy it while it lives then. Only things that we grow outside are on daily drip system or are cacti.

It is setting next to the grocery store orchid that has a dish of water under it for humidity. It rebloomed this year which surprised me. I always considered them disposable plants.

Diana

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”