turtledove
Newly Registered

Potting Medium - Repotting my fukien

I've had my fukien tea tree since this January. It has not yet been repotted. I have been looking for a good potting medium, but so far I haven't found anything in my local stores that seems actually intended for bonsai. Nor have I found anything intended for cacti (since I have seen that recommended as an alternative).

I do, however, have half a bag of orchid potting medium, which mainly consists of bark chips. I've also got a pot that has much better drainage than the current pot the fukien is in. I have been considering repotting the bonsai into the bark chips, but I've been hesitating because it is listed as orchid potting medium and I don't know if there's any additives in there that would affect the tree negatively. But at the same time...it'd still be better than soil, which is what my fukien is currently potted in.

Is it safe for the tree, if I pot it in the bark chips? Or should I keep searching for a potting medium actually intended for bonsai (or cacti)?

imafan26
Mod

If you use orchid bark use the aged bark from NZ not fir bark. Fir bark is too large and breaks down faster. Use the fine grade.

https://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-m ... edium.html

black cinder is another choice if you can find a construction or landscape company in your area that carries it like this one.
You would use the fine gravel and sift it through a 3/8 or 1/4 inch screen and wash out the fine dust. I can get bags of crushed cinder at Walmart and Home Depot. If the cinder is still too big you can break it up more with a hammer, just don't pulverize it, you don't want cinder dust.

https://www.hiltonlandscapesupply.com/cinder-rock.htm

Try contacting your local bonsai society and join the club. They may even help you repot and shape your plant and ask them where they get their bonsai mix from. Someone in the club may sell you some or tell you how to get it, and you can also get the tools, wire, sifters, and pots from them if you need it. It is a good way to learn how to take care of bonsai.

I use black cinder for my bonsai. Crushed cinder is fairly easy for me to get but does need to be sifted as the pieces are not uniform. I have never seen a bonsai mix. Most bonsai clubs have their own recipes using different grades of gravel from construction and landscape companies. I can get the aged pine bark from NZ from a local Agricultural Supply. It is used mostly by orchid clubs and the Ag supply companies are willing to import it if you give them the source to get it and you get enough people (like a club) that is willing to purchase enough quantity to make it worthwhile to stock it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The bonsai club is a really good suggestion, if there is one near you.

Otherwise you might be able to order it on line:

https://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_Soil ... Ogod8nUAYQ

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Inert stone grit is offered at agricultural feed stores (for me its a Blue Seal). Both sweepiing compounds, and chicken scratch (Grani-Grit).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”