Proseph
Newly Registered

Satsuki Azalea - When to Repot? Add Substrate to Soil?

I am still quite new to Bonsai, however I invested in a second "tree" the other day from Brussels Bonsai. The only real reason I purchased from them was their decent prices and the fact that they sell through Amazon and shipping was free.
To start off I live in Northern Colorado.

Anyway my azalea is 8 to 10 years old and looks healthy. When it arrived a couple days ago in the mail it was in full bloom and still is.

My issues are
1. The soil which the bonsai is in. It seems to be quite a bit of soil and a lack of substrate. I am thinking that I would like to re pot into some pumice type substrate. My first tree is a Chinese Elm and I successfully re potted that tree into pumice substrate. I am thinking I should do the same with the Azalea, however reading that Azaleas like a more acid base, I am open to other ideas or adding other mixes such as pine bark.

2. The "tree" looks like a large shrub. I want to get the bush looking like a tree. Any recommendations on how I should go about pruning this thing into a tree would be appreciated. As you can see in the close up photo, there are quite a few large chutes coming off of the short trunk. ( I circled the short trunk in red in case anyone viewing the image is having a hard time with the lack of depth perception in pictures)

Any tips or advice on how I can get this thing growing in height while pruning back the width and beginning to shape the tree?

Is it ill advised to re pot this tree while in bloom? Or in other words, is it too late in spring to re pot this bonsai?
Attachments
AZ Tree.jpg
trunk.jpg

Proseph
Newly Registered

Upon further research I have found that I can safely re pot after the flowering process.

How should I go about pulling/cutting the flowers off of the tree? Does it matter how I go about it?

Secondly, with heavy pruning and re potting needed, in what order should I go about this?

How heavily can I prune the Satsuki? Can I remove half of the lower chutes, all of them?

Lastly, I plan to propagate some of the cuttings into their own trees.
I was going to simply cut the chute, dip it in rooting hormone and simply plant the chute. Does this sound alright or is it recommended that I air layer?

Joe

Proseph
Newly Registered

More photos of the trunk/trunks.

I am considering leaving a majority of the side trunks to help increase trunk width. I also have not ruled out a clump styling---yet.

possible front

possible back

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”