Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

My first bonsai ever!!

Good evening forum,

I went to Home Depot today with my grandpa and crossed paths with a "Blue Rug Juniper" for four buks I figured it was worth a try. I've read alot about bonsai and am actually starting school soon for my degree in horticulture technology. I decided to give this a go. I prunned a good amount of foliage as well as root pruned, in addition I cleaned out the nursery soil out of the root base. Not wanting to stress the pant any further I left a good amount of foliage on the tree. I figured I could always go back in a couple of months and have another go at it.

Before;
Juniper before
Juniper before
Juniper before 2
Juniper before 2
After;
After
After
After 2
After 2
WP_20140502_006.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
I'm not 100% content with it, but I'm proud of my work. It feels like there is a bit lacking I was hoping I could get some advice from you more experienced guys. It was also my first time wiring. Junipers I know have their strength in their foliage, is there anything I should be looking out for after such extreme work on this guy?

Thank you in advance

-Jonathan

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Welcome Jonathan, Good first time, looks better than when you got it. Four bucks, great price, looked at some today, smaller ones than that were about sixteen. Well, there'll be lots to talk about. Talk to you then.

Richard

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

valley wrote:Welcome Jonathan, Good first time, looks better than when you got it. Four bucks, great price, looked at some today, smaller ones than that were about sixteen. Well, there'll be lots to talk about. Talk to you then.

Richard
Thanks Richard, I picked up another one, now I have two! I also re-did the wiring on the first one.
WP_20140503_009.jpg
WP_20140503_009.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”