baileysup
Green Thumb

Aborvitae Trees?

Someone on craigslist is giving away 10-12 aborvitae trees. I've never heard of such a thing, but would they be worth a look? There was no picture in the ad, but he's close by, so I could easily look at them. Do aborvitae trees make good bonsai? Or should I take them and sell them? They are about 6' tall average, and I would have to dig them and haul them myself, so a lot of work probably. Any thoughts on this? I think I will call tomorrow morning to arrange for a look at them. Not sure they would make good bonsai after looking at some pics.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings bailey, I think they would be great. they're kinda like Spruce or Juniper,run and get them, be prepared to work, they will have a good hold of the ground.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you google "arborvitae bonsai images" you will find lots of nice pictures. If these are that big, they will have nice trunks for making bonsai:

https://I.imgur.com/RR3oy.jpg

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm setting up to go and look at them. Does anyone know where to get burlap, so I can wrap the root balls for transport? Would Lowes have it?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

You can use an old sheet or dog blanket. If there's a fabric store near you, the ones that sell upholstery, they may have burlap.

good luck.

Richard

baileysup
Green Thumb

Aaaaa. There was no way I was getting that thing out of the ground today, and he's got other people coming for them. Does anyone know if they even back bud? That would have been a necessity.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

With any evergreen, never take all the green. The needless branch is a dead branch.

There will always be a 'next' tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”