han412

ficus religiosa

always start bonsai with trees that have great trunks already.... luckily for you, you are looking at a ficus.... guess what that means!! .... get yourself about a hundred more of these cuttings/seedlings and put them together (I hope you live in a relatively tropical climate [fill out location in ur profile..helps us help you] )

you can create very interesting bonsai from ficus whips when twisted and grafted together and with their fast growth rate (especially in tropical climates) you can create something amazing in under a decade ....

or .... start with a great trunk and go from there ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the idea but just a nagging thought.Wont the cuttings at the centre ( which wont get any sunlight or air) rot?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

this looks like it is a response to something, but I don't know what, since you made it a new topic.

To keep your response attached to the original post, please use the Reply button, not the New Topic button.

thanks, and welcome to the Forum!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

RBG,

It appears to me that this portion is excerpted from another source:
always start bonsai with trees that have great trunks already.... luckily for you, you are looking at a ficus.... guess what that means!! .... get yourself about a hundred more of these cuttings/seedlings and put them together (I hope you live in a relatively tropical climate [fill out location in ur profile..helps us help you] )

you can create very interesting bonsai from ficus whips when twisted and grafted together and with their fast growth rate (especially in tropical climates) you can create something amazing in under a decade ....

or .... start with a great trunk and go from there ...
And that this is the actual question:
I loved the idea but just a nagging thought.Wont the cuttings at the centre ( which wont get any sunlight or air) rot?
Unfortunately, I cannot answer the question, having never fused Ficus. Perhaps someone else can help.

Norm

han412

Gnome you got it right. All the trees are having new growths now and I am in the process of collection stem cuttings to grow trees for further use as bonsai. I have collected several (15-20) cuttings of ficus religiosa and was reading up about fusing and came across that article.
Well that question was answered . But I have another doubt now should I attempt the fusing with the stem cuttings or let them root and mature ( wont woody trunks be better for fusing)?

han412

ok I have gone ahead and planted all the cuttings, about 25 of them. I have bound the stems. Keeping m y fingers crossed. :)
Attachments
IMG_2904.JPG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”