Peaceful0ne

Can someone help me identify and give me a few tips?

Hey everyone,

So I decided to go find some nice trees that are already growing and growing well in my area, this is so I can hopefully grow some nice saplings that will eventually turn into my first bonsai trees :)

But before all that exciting stuff I'm planning to plant English Ivy and grow that to prepare myself for when the actual trees come :)

So earlier today I went out on a nice walk and found some trees that looked interesting and gathered what seems to me like it could be the seeds, I have no idea what the trees are (I think one of them could be a birch). Now I would love it if someone could identify them and tell me if what I have gathered are the seeds! I would feel so silly planting what I have and waiting for years and nothing to happen just because it wasn't a seed :D

Anyway, here are some photos:

Tree 1:

Possible seeds from tree 1:

Tree 2:

Possible seeds from tree 2:

Thank you!
Peaceful

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Tree 1 is a birch

Tree 2 is a pine but Simone familiar with your are might be able to identify the specific type

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Peaceful0ne,

For the pines; place the cones in a paper bag and allow them to air dry. As they dry, they will open and the seeds will fall out.

As for the Birch; I have never tried but I do know that they produce both male and female catkins in the same tree in spring. I don't know which type you have collected.

Norm

Peaceful0ne

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have no idea in terms of the birch, I just picked them off the branch ends, also, should I keep the pine cones in the house or outside? and do they need to be in a paper bag? I don't actually think we have any paper bags :()

Also I'm more in favour to plant the pine, I prefer the way it looks out of the two, so lets assume I manage to get the seeds out, when should I plant them? and does it matter about the soil/how deep you plant them etc?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Those could be birch calkins. If after drying they don't shed an obvious seed with a little membrane, you got the pollen producer.

The 'seed' that come from from your pine cone is not all that different in gross anatomy from your birch. Both are designed to be wind-born dispersed.

Top plant (shallowly) tree seed. In very fast draining soil. Even a fat old acorn barely needs be pushed into good contact with soil.

Other seed worth coilecting in their season are: Witch hazel, Japan maple, quince, mullberry, sweetfern.

Birch will be the more work in training.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”