Zuzu
Newly Registered

Bonsai Winter Questions - First time owner

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Juniper Bonsai tree but I'm having trouble about the Winter dormancy part.
I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with them. I would really appreciate the help.

I live in USA, Chicago Illinois, our winters are pretty rough, this winter specially we have gotten temperatures of -40 degrees fahrenheit. I have read that Junipers are supposed to be outdoors even in the winter and that some snow is good for them etc. but what I need to know is the following:

1. If I keep my bonsai in a garage where the temperature may get to 20 degrees fahrenheit, does it still need to get sun light event though its in its "dormant phase".

2. if its too cold outside, can I bring it indoors and use a lamp for replacement of sun rays? we don't get much sun during the winter days.

please helppp!! and thank you!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Zuzu wrote:I live in USA, Chicago Illinois, our winters are pretty rough, this winter specially we have gotten temperatures of -40 degrees fahrenheit. I have read that Junipers are supposed to be outdoors even in the winter and that some snow is good for them etc. but what I need to know is the following:

1. If I keep my bonsai in a garage where the temperature may get to 20 degrees fahrenheit, does it still need to get sun light event though its in its "dormant phase".
This winter is old. Your juniper hasn't had the time to embrace dormancy, it needs to coolest indoors space you have away from heating vents and supplimental light (hint; test for moisture with a chop stick)
Zuzu wrote:2. if its too cold outside, can I bring it indoors and use a lamp for replacement of sun rays? we don't get much sun during the winter days.
It needs very little additional light while dormant. If you can see it, it'll be fine. FWIW (and I was born in Elmhurst) In the fullness of collecting you may want a cold house (or cold frame) in your future. We can talk about that as your hobby keeps you poor ;) I also think as you find them at a price you can live with, you may want to look at mica pots. Ceramic breaks down in very cold weather.

Those of us who grow bonsai up near the tundra need protection not so much from cold, but from snow pack damage. This year will be a year without a winter for your new tree baby.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”