kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

How Often Water Juniper Bonsai? Indoor if 50 Degrees Cold?

I'm a newbie regarding bonsai... I just bought mine last 2 weeks ago.. I'm in Los Angeles CA and I would like to know how often should I water my plant?! and I believe misting the leaves every other day is good?! and about our temperature here in Los Angeles get atleast 50 degree fahrenheit. so should I leave it outside my balcony or bring it inside my apartment at night?! please help me... and should I give them a fertilizer this month?! if yes how often?! and last thing 2 weeks ago it has moss but right now its dried so how would I grow the moss back?? PLEASEEE HELPPPPP MEEEEEE!!
Attachments
BONSAI 1AA.jpg

kikcer2

Welcome!

Junipers need to be outside, they are very hardy and will handle the 50 degree no problem.

Look around in the learning section and it will help you with the watering using the chop stick method.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A true Angelino! :) Worried about 50 degrees being cold! Juniper is hardy more or less to 50 degrees BELOW ZERO! Your trouble with your juniper may be that it doesn't get enough cold. Junipers like to have some cold dormancy.

Don't grow the moss back. It isn't good for your bonsai, for being able to tell when you need to water, etc. If those rocks in the picture are glued on, you should remove them too.

Misting it is good. You should be slowing down on fertilizer now as it is going in to winter. Don't fertilize in winter.

Do some reading, learn some more about the hobby you just started on.

kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener - thanks about that... regarding misting how often should I do it?!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

kogkog_bugart wrote:rainbowgardener - thanks about that... regarding misting how often should I do it?!
I would insert a chop-stick daily into the soil of your juniper. If it comes out damp, do not water it. If it comes out dry, liberally top water it, till water runs freely out bottom vent.

Juniper is just waxy enough that you cannot tell your tree is in crisis from drying out the canopy from modern air conditioning-heating. You can literally mummify the crown in place.

Put that juniper outdoors where it belongs. It'll thank you if you hold it close to your ear ;)

kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

top water it?! what I do is soak it on a water for 30 mins then let it dry outside... so chopstick method means if the chopstick is damp/a lil wet it means I don't need to water it?! I love my bonsai my wife gave it to me so please help me!
Attachments
BONSAI2.JPG
BONSAI2.JPG (21.79 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
BONSAI2.JPG
BONSAI2.JPG (21.79 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I use a garden hose with a fine rose, and a watering can with a fine rose to water with.

At some point the guy who cares for a tree has to try a thing and inspect their own work.

Touch your tree every single day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure exactly what this meant: top water it?! what I do is soak it on a water for 30 mins then let it dry outside.

But if it involves bringing the plant indoors, which is implied by "then let it dry outdoors," it's probably not best. That would mean you would be constantly moving it back and forth between in and out.

It is a TREE! Think about how trees grow and then provide as much of that as you can. Put it somewhere and leave it there as long as it is happy there.

And yes if the chopstick is damp, that means the soil is damp, so don't water. If the chopstick is dry, then the soil is dry, so water. The other way around wouldn't make any sense.

If you just think in a common sense way about what trees need, you will be fine! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”