jansmith
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm.

I have a Chinese Elm which untill November was thriving, however I had to move premises and due to a lack of suitable place for it indoors had to put it outside. I wrapped it in bubble wrap to try to protect it from the severe winter. It is now showing no sign of life. I am devastated how do I know whether it is dead or not. I have tried to give it the best chance.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jansmith,
how do I know whether it is dead or not.
Nip the very end from a few branches and look for green, living tissue. If the branch is brown and dry, or shriveled in appearance it is likely dead. If many branches are like this try nicking or scratching the trunk itself. If there is green under the bark it may recover.

By your statement about the bubble wrap I assume that you are in an area with colder winters. You probably stressed it by putting it out so late in the season. While Chinese Elms are fairly hardy trees you must realize that dormancy is a process that begins after the summer solstice and continues up until the first frosts when the process is complete. It might be that your tree was not prepared for winter.

Norm

jansmith
Newly Registered

Thankyou yes I am in England it had been an unusually cold winter. There is some green in a few branches but the bark at the trunk has peeled off and it is brown underneath.I am hoping that a bit of morning sunshine will encourage some growth.

jansmith
Newly Registered

:cry: :cry: :cry: No sign of life

floraAdore

Bummer. I think fatalities are practically unavoidable for bonsai enthuasits (new & old!). We learn from these mistakes, sometimes dearly & w/ consequence.
Find a local nursery that supplies prebonsai or even nursery stock; Spring is here!
Try & pick a species most suitable to what you can give it.
Good luck! Update us if it comes back from the dead !

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”