meloncap78

New Chinese Elm

Just received this little guy yesterday. It is roughly 18 years old and had some new shoots coming out in random directions (many were back shoots). Well I pruned the back shoots and removed some very tiny shoots on some of the branches right near the trunk. For some reason now It looks to me like I took too much off. The tree looked a little more full before I pruned but at the same time a bit messy and perhaps a tad overgrown. I hope I haven't gone and done anything detrimental to it's future. NOTE: This tree will be outdoors as of tomorrow on my porch in a South window (window open). Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am only just getting started in bonsai and can't say anything about pruning techniques, styling etc. But I would say that in general to receive a new tree and start snipping on it right away would usually not be recommended.

The tree needs to adjust to having been transported and being in a new place, in new conditions and you need to get to know your tree, have spent enough hours looking at it from all different directions to be able to visualize what you want to do with it.

The art of bonsai is all about PATIENCE!

meloncap78

Oh boy....I knew it. Now I will be sitting at work all day thinking of the horror I just put my tree through. I have been so busy lately I should have read up first or posted pics and asked first.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

M78, Let any more pruning soil work etc go till your baby sez its growing well.

meloncap78

Thank you for the replies. I got an email alert earlier that a reply had been made but I believe the forum may have been down as I kept receiving an sql error (I deal with this stuff all day as an IT consultant and I know the headaches associated :( ). I will continue to keep proper soil moisture and talk to the little guy until I get some shoots back and it fills out. I have no real eye yet but I think this tree could have a very interesting style and it's already my best buddy lol. The only thing I am not sure about is that lower branch (just seems to throw off the look of a large tree although I have seen some pics of strange trees in the wild....who knows). Again, thank you for the sound advice. I'll continue my browsing and reading now :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”