meloncap78

My first Juniper Bonsai

I received this little guy from my wife. My story is in the intro portion of the forum if anyone wants to read up. Needless to say I am not sure if I need to prune or not. To me the tree looks a little messy but I could be wrong. Input is very welcomed.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

He's a Juniper, and will need to go outdoors soon. A-n-d stay outdoors all four seasons.

This little twig was rooted no longer ago than last year.

Junipers strength is is durable heartyness and unchanging nature. Its weakest feature is its heartyness and unchanging nature.

Juniper tend to die and show that passage months later. Your "Uh-oh" moment will most likely occur long after the fact.

Read up on how to use a chop stick to test soil moisture. Also read up on how to build soil for your tree.

One virtue of bonsai over landscape arbor culture, is anything the arborist can do up in a tree, a bonsai hobbyist can do sitting on a chair in the shade.

meloncap78

Thanks for the tip. I have now moved the little guy to my front porch where it gets partial sun most of the day on a ledge near a partly open window. This may become his permanent home and I am hoping that this will work because I don't have much of a yard at all (plus I don't trust the neighborhood kids and/or animals). I am already thinking of a Chinese Elm to give him as a companion....... :lol: I am also curious as to whether or not I should repot at this point being the start of spring and all. I also have no real idea of the soil mixture that it came in. Seems to drain well but no clue as to what it is comprised of.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Spend some time here in the "Learning Forum and Library".

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”