sberman431
Newly Registered

starting a oak

hi I just got a cutting from a friend ----and was woundering if I can use the root starter to get it going before putting in a bonsai pot

thanks for any advise

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sberman431,

Hello and welcome.
hi I just got a cutting from a friend ----and was woundering if I can use the root starter to get it going before putting in a bonsai pot
There is more than one issue here. Some plants will root without rooting hormone, some will root with it and others are very difficult no matter what you do. There are also different strengths of hormone that are suited to different applications.

A cutting, of any sort, will take years before there is any point in putting it into a bonsai pot. Can you locate a tree that is already established? If so you will cut years from the process.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Is the cutting already planted in soil or is it just in water or something? If it is in soil then I would just leave it, hopefully your friend put some root hormone on it already, Is he/she a bonsai grower? if so you could ask them for help. If you take it out of the pot you risk breaking off any new roots that may have developed and that wouldn't help the tree at all. If it is just in water then you can put the root hormone on it and then plant it in bonsai soil.
and was woundering if I can use the root starter to get it going before putting in a bonsai pot
Trees are normaly grown out in a training pot (just a larger pot) until the roots have developed and the trunk is the diameter that you want. Some people don't put them into bonsai pots until they are finished trees then again some don't wait that long.

Could we get some pics? they are very helpful and fun to look at :wink: :D .

Tom

P.S. by the way, what species of oak is it?

EDIT:woops Gome you beat me to it :D
Last edited by constantstaticx3 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

sberman431 wrote:hi I just got a cutting from a friend ----and was woundering if I can use the root starter to get it going before putting in a bonsai pot

thanks for any advise
I am not sure what 'the root starter' refers to..:?
Do understand though that there would be many steps [Years] between a successful rooting and it requiring bonsai pot though.

As far as I know, Oaks are difficult to start from cuttings, [url=https://groups.ucanr.org/slosson/documents/2001-20022046.pdf]This[/url] is a study about this from the University of California about just that. They used strong IBA [Indole-3-butyric acid] Good potting medium, Bottom heat etc...and they got less than 25% to take over 9 different species of Oaks.

I am not saying don't try but you do have a challenging project ahead of you. Any possibility of pictures?

How long have you had this cutting? Where are you keeping it etc...

Someone else may have some tips for you. In the meantime, I suggest you google up some more info about Oak cuttings.

ynot

sberman431
Newly Registered

thanks for all the replies

1. it is a cutting from a estalished tree
2. I do have it in water with root hormone
3. I will try and get some pics soon
4. it has been in the ater for about 4 days now and I have had to refill it 2 times already
5. it is almost 10-12 inches tall
6. no wilting had accured yet
7. I guess soon as roots do start to grow I will put it into a regular pot to shape it
8. it is a califorina white oak

sberman431
Newly Registered

also wanted to say thanks for the welcome and I am glad I found this forum

I do have a couple of other bonsais 2 dawn redwoods ------- and a couple of indian laural ficus

I just really like the oaks any ideas where to get some

thanks scott

ynot
Greener Thumb

sberman431 wrote:also wanted to say thanks for the welcome and I am glad I found this forum
Your welcome, {and Welcome btw :D}
I do have a couple of other bonsais 2 dawn redwoods ------- and a couple of indian laural ficus
Hmm, Pictures please 8)
I just really like the oaks any ideas where to get some
Considering your location....Acorns ;)...lol.

Actually I have no idea, Is collecting an option in your area? Do you have a local bonsai club? Are any options like that viable?

Let us know how it goes with the cutting :)

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Scott,

A little quick research indicates that Oaks are indeed difficult from cuttings. Good call Ynot.

I found an article that suggests growing them from acorns collected between January and April. I get oaks in my yard every year. So if you cant collect one get some acorns.

Here is the article: [url]https://www.bssf.org/meetings/august-general-meeting-2/[/url]
I hope this helps you.

Norm

sberman431
Newly Registered

thanks norm

that was a good article ---- I guess this w/e I will be on the search for some acorns -------- see what I can find

also I will try and keep updating on this cutting and let u all know how it does

rjj

I have some Shumard oaks in the ground that were started from seed 3 years ago. It may be another 5 years before I do anything to them. I dig a few up each year before the first mow under the trees and pot them up. They are a tree that is very much down the road for me. They by nature are slow growers.

randy

ParagonWP
Newly Registered

I live in Thousand Oaks too, and digging up an oak is forbidden under penalty of death :lol: However, I have a friend who has one in her backyard, and it always has little "oaklets" growing around, so she and I are going to go out under cloak of darkness and dig up one when it's the appropriate size. I haven't been successful with a cutting--I'm starting to think "strong as an oak" is a misnomer.

PhilC

I've got some Quercus robur or English Oaks that I have grown from acorn three years ago. That qualifies them for some of my longest living examples, plus their size and stature put them firmly within the 'stick' category.

It's said that they aren't the easiest things to bonsai, but as they are very important to us English they are a species that I am determined to attempt.

My care for them has been to put them in a pot full of ordinary compost and leave them. Apart from a quick root prune to remove the impressive tap root (I was thinking of turning the seedlings upside down as the diameter and taper on the root was better than the trunk), they have been watered when it rains and if the rest of the garden got a water.

There was no side branching on half of them, so I chopped the top of them earlier this year, and within a few weeks buds had formed and grown, and they all have branches now.

Due to my impatience, I will start training one of them in to a broom Shohin next year, the rest of them I will leave to grow as they will for a while.

tarian

check ebay for oak seedlings they don't cost much
and theyr established

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”