isea
Newly Registered

New to Bonsai

Hello,

I just got this the other day. It's already "spouting?" "budding?" see how new I am :)

Anyway, everything I have read so far says when they are new to just give them some time to acclimate. It's been about two weeks now and I now it nearing the end of it growing season. Should I prune it a little before it gets too out of shape?

[img]https://s172019229.onlinehome.us/photo%20(1).JPG[/img]

Thanks for any help

JTred
Green Thumb

Welcome to the board and to the hobby. If you enjoy learning then bonsai will be a great experience for you.

Judging from the size of your tree I'd say hold off on the pruning. Also, it looks to me like a juniper, which is an outdoor plant only. Is this tree being kept indoors or out? What is the weather like at your house right now?

isea
Newly Registered

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I should let it go until next season?

Also, it is a juniper and it is inside. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area an typically to doesn't get too cold out here. I will keep an eye on the weather to avoid the one or two frosts we might get.

Thanks again!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

isea wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I should let it go until next season?

Also, it is a juniper and it is inside. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area an typically to doesn't get too cold out here. I will keep an eye on the weather to avoid the one or two frosts we might get.

Thanks again!
Juniper is an extremely cold hardy tree, down to at least minus 20. It does not want to be inside in a heated environment. It wants to be outside, where it can have proper cold dormancy. Junipers die indoors!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”