kart_racer3
Newly Registered

Help Me Identify This... Fungus?

Hi, I've got a Fukien Tea Bonsai that has begun to develop this odd growth. The tree has been growing fine for about one year. The growth can best be described as a white, sticky, stringy material (almost like a cob-web) that only appears from where the leaf shoots cluster and grow from a branch. Any ideas on what this may be and how I can cure it? I've attached a picture to help with identification. Thanks!

[url=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/dsc00630du.jpg/][img]https://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2852/dsc00630du.jpg[/img][/url]

Uploaded with [url=https://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/url][/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kart_racer3,

I suspect that this is actually insect activity. Use Google images and search under the term 'Wooly Aphids' and let us know what you think. I've been treating aphids with Neem Oil, diluted according to the directions. One word of caution though, I seem to recall some warnings about Fukien Tea not tolerating some sprays well. Be careful.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Could also be spider mites or the beginnings of scale.

Definitely be careful when using any kind of insecticide on Fukien Tea, even insecticidal soap. My preference would be to wrap the pot in plastic wrap, take it outdoors, and spray with a "garden and home safe" spray. When you do this, also spray the area in which you keep it. Leave the pot wrapped for a few days so that any residual insecticide falls on plastic, not the soil. DO NOT WATER FROM ABOVE. When it next needs to be watered, unwrap it and give it a soak to just below the pot rim. After that, proceed normally.

kart_racer3
Newly Registered

Thank you for the quick responses! I had read in one of my bonsai books that methylated alcohol can be used to treat aphids, do you know if this would work as a spot treatment? I'll consider my first task to get some type of insecticide, as you had mentioned in your posts. Also, I have been keeping this bonsai indoors on my kitchen window ledge. Would I need to treat this area for pests? If it is mites or aphids, could they be accidentally transfered to other tress in my home?

Edit: Any particular brands of spray or soap that you would recommend? Should I be spraying my trees at certain intervals to prevent insect pests? I've also got a brush cherry and a juniper. Thanks again!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Especially indoors, it is important to treat the area infected. My personal preference is commercial Raid or similar brand, as long as it is supposed to be "garden and home safe". Keeping Fukien Tea inside is a whole other story. It is quite likely that you have not seen an end to your worries with this tree, even if you solve this problem.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”