Signal30
Cool Member

Getting my first bonsai.

In a few weeks I am going to buy a Hawaiian Umbrella bonsai because after some research they are one of the easiest to maintain and require little light.

My house is dark. It only gets sunlight in the winter when the trees are bare. Is this a good choice?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

As long as it gets some months outdoors while the weather is warm.

Get into the habbit of checking moisture daily with a finger (or chop stick).

Successful bonsai keepers and their trees do best with daily exchanges...

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If you can not comfortably walk through your house without turning lights on in the evening, it's a fair bet that none of the windows are receiving enough light to support plant growth. Schefflera might do, well, just "okay" as a potted plant, with larger leaves and lanky growth. But, as a bonsai, it will need more light than that. Without supplemental lighting, you'll need to put it in a window other than a north facing window that receives at least a couple of hours of direct sunlight each day. If you can not provide this, and you're not in a tropical/subtropical climate, you will need supplemental lighting for when the tree is kept indoors. Don't be lulled into purchasing "grow lights". These are most often just normal fluorescent units with lamps of a different spectral output than normally used in homes. Don't go for the spiral type compact fluorescents either. Look for T5HO fluorescent fixtures that are at least the width and breadth of the widest intended portion of your tree as finished. If you can not find aesthectically suitable fixtures at your local home store, check out Aquatraders.com as they have the best price point. I use these fixtures all of the time in aquaria and for indoor carnivorous plants and they have always performed very well for me.

Signal30
Cool Member

Thanks for the help. I am unfortunately kind of screwed when it comes to natural sunlight.

You mentioned grow lights quite a bit. Are they any decent small units. I see Bonsai Boy sells one.

Please excuse my lack of experience on the matter.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I actually said to stay away from them, they're over-priced and under-powered. For a 12" wide tree, try a 2 lamp "undercabinet" T5HO fixture from you local home store. Or, if not to your liking, check out aquatraders.com.

JTred
Green Thumb

Any fluorescent will do. If you have the room I would get one of the hanging fixtures with the two fluorescent tubes, and hang it as close to the top of the tree as possible. If space is an issue get one or two desk lamps and put compact fluorescent (cfl) bulbs in. Again, keep the lights as close as possible to the tree.

-Jack

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”