Justin088
Cool Member

Fukien tea long term.

Hey guys wanted to get some advice on long term goals for this tree.
What would you do with it?

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/fukienstem.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/fukienfront.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/fukien06292011.jpg[/img]

froggy

Get it into a bigger pot and let it fatten up a bit (much).
If you only just got it, learn about keeping it alive first, before planning to shape it...
And one thing to realize is, long term plan, means LONG TERM as in several years...
I had a long term plan for my trees once. funny, I forgot it's been that long, and the trees still aren't anywhere near where the plan would start... ;)

luigonz

let it grow wild.( thicken the trunk)

at least thats what I would do. it depends if you would like to shape it and keep it in a tray if you want it to look like a bonsai. I have several 'young' trees which I shape and keep in bonsai trays, they simply don't grow as fast as a tree would simple sitting in a larger growing pot (or in the ground) for some years.

it looks healthy though. keep it up.

Justin088
Cool Member

Yeah I understand "long" term in bonsai could end up being a staggering amount of time. I just want to get it on the path and have some kind of idea of what to do with it.

So for right now my first step would be potting up into a larger pot.
Grow box or 1-5 gallon planters? Which one is more beneficial? Doubt it matters. I will do this when potting time comes around.

Thanks for the advice.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

For that size tree, that pot is pretty large already. I'd leave it at least until next spring. Other than that, do nothing except scrape backbuds forming on the front to prevent branches forming where you don't want them that will leave scars when pruned off. That's it. Maybe a bigger pot next spring, clear frontal backbuds. Good luck keeping it alive.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

As in styling, I see slanting or literati as possibilities. FT trunks can be pretty hard to bend and brittle if not handled properly it can snap. The 2 I had before had fatter trunks than yours and I don't even attempt to bend them. I guess it's easier when they're younger with thinner trunks. You got the good weather in FL so that should help it grow up quicker :D

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Yeah, literati or possibly cascade. Unless you want to fatten it a bit and chop way below the first branch, that is. If you plan on keeping the first branch as a leader, any other style... phew, 10 years to begin styling, maybe.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”