critchy
Newly Registered

How to train my Chinese Elm?

Hi all!

I've had this lovely 8 year old Chinese Elm for a couple of weeks now and it looks surprisingly happy! (Plants don't tend to last long in my house! :? )

I've kept it trimmed and watered and now I'm turning my thoughts to training it.

It has a strong looking shoot forming quite low down on the trunk - I'd like to turn this into a branch, sweeping downwards. How would I do this? If I don't trim it soon it'll be halfway out the door! :D As I understand it, as it grows longer it will also thicken; so when it's thick enough do I then trim it to size?

Also, on the other side of the trunk (low down) is a fairly solid branch which I think needs encouraging in a slightly different direction (downwards). I expect that it needs wiring for this, but it's quite strong - won't the wire just bite into it? Could I use some form of weight instead?

So many questions from a newbie! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lotsa questions... :lol:

Even if that low shoot doesn't quite suit for a branch leaving it can be beneficial. Letting it shoot out allows the caliper of the shoot to increase (it should be thicker than the branches above) and even if you don't like it as a branch, it will still help0 to thicke the trunk below it. This is known as a "sacrificial branch" and is an old trick for fattening thin trunks.

As for wire vs. weights, that is an age old question. The weights are not as a specific way to get the bends and twists you might want, but the weight won't cut the branch as it grows. On the other hand the weight will usually start the bend in the middle of the branch UNLESS you notch the crotch (on top) so the bend starts near the trunk. I'm a wire guy, but that means no direct sunlight for prolonged periods in the summer, another minus. Like so many other things in bonsai, finding your own way is the only way...

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

Thanks Scott. You've given me something to think about.

So I'd need to let that shoot carry on growing so that it becomes 'woody'? And then trim it to length. I would like the branch on the other side to balance it out, and then the ends of each branch can be a lovely mass of greenery.

I'm not sure that I can get that other branch to twist the way I want it to. It's fairly thick, and it takes quite a lot of pressure to make it bend. Then it springs back when I let go. If I were to notch it, would that not increase the likelyhood of disease getting in? I don't want to lose that branch because there's nothing else on that side of the tree.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Then do everything very slowly...

John Naka's book shows how to notch a branch for bending; always cut the top of the branch, never the bottom, and bend slowly to get lignous (woody) growth to fill bak in almost completely before bending again...SLOWLY...

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

Brilliant, thanks! I will get that book. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

John Naka is the American master without compare and his two books on Bonsai Technique are masterpieces of simple clear instruction. $$$, but worth it...

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

I've had an idea about that thick branch. Instead of bending it, I think I'm going to encourage one of the shoots at the end to become a new branch and point that downwards to create the same effect.

I must be doing something right, because there are absolutely loads of new shoots all over it at the moment!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good to hear!

Just staring at that tree for a few days is always a good way to figure out where to go next. The best answers are usually the ones that you put the most time in to reaching...

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

I'm certainly staring at it a lot! It's sitting in front of me on my desk. I'm using it as a meditation aid, and very useful it's been too.

I've decided to let it get a bit shaggy so that I can see where to go next.

Best hobby I've ever had! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't forget that tip cutting causes ramification, so even taking the growing tips off of a branch will cause back budding and fuller pads of foliage...

What I'm saying is, don't leave it go too long; at least take tips...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”