madrose
Newly Registered

Help to identify my Bonsai tress

Hi all,
I would appreciate if someone could help me to identify the 2 bonsai tress that I have.

[img]https://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/1932505584_09172010_1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/1669574571_09172010_2.jpg[/img]

JTred
Green Thumb

The second is definitely a ficus. It looks like f. microcarpa.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

The 1st one looks like a Fukien Tea. Look like the white flowers have stopped blooming. . .

madrose
Newly Registered

linlaoboo wrote:The 1st one looks like a Fukien Tea. Look like the white flowers have stopped blooming. . .
Actually this one almost died "the family was travelling for 3 weeks and no watering". When we came back it was almost dead with no leaves at all.
After almost 2 months of caring the leaves are there and now I can count 4 flowers already there.

Thinks for the help.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

It's amazing it survived 3 weeks without watering. Fukien teas benefit from having a moisture tray placed below the pot or a show tray of water. I keep mine outdoors since spring and the soil will pretty much dry up completely around 3 days depending on how hot, dry or windy it is outside. It is also potted with free draining bonsai mix.

I think that black soil it is in actually helped keeping the moisture for so long. Usually you want to pot it with free draining bonsai soil.
madrose wrote:
linlaoboo wrote:The 1st one looks like a Fukien Tea. Look like the white flowers have stopped blooming. . .
Actually this one almost died "the family was travelling for 3 weeks and no watering". When we came back it was almost dead with no leaves at all.
After almost 2 months of caring the leaves are there and now I can count 4 flowers already there.

Thinks for the help.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I happened to be in Ikea today and saw they had a couple dozen fukien teas in the plants section. Some are in bad health, placed on lower trays on the plant rack with no light. And the all peat based soil is all dried up and a good number of them have dried up/ dark leaves on them. It's such a shame cuz these are all trained into S shaped trunks like the one in this thread with lots of potential for good display. Too bad I already have too many plants to tend to at home or I'd pick up a couple. They're only $14.99 in 4.5 inch pots and $17 in 8" pots. The store I went to is in Elizabeth.

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK - I'll play the bad guy here, and take the rath of forum junkies from around the globe (and hey, I'm one of them). But if you quickly scan the forum you will see that a large portion of posts are titled "Help me save my dying (or already dead) bonsai."

So why send well intended people out to these places that have oodles of sickly mass-produced (factory made) plants which are being passed off as bonsai? Don't get me wrong - I have, on occasion, purchased $12 'practice trees' for a specific purpose. But only if the trees look really healthy.

My point here is this. Please spend your hard-earned money more smartly. Find the nearest bonsai nursery, owner operated, someone who can give you expert advice. You will pay a bit more & travel a bit farther. But in the long run you will be rewarded. And here's the best part. Your future posts to the forum will, instead of being "Help - my fukien tea is dying" will more likely be about the progress of your new bonsai.

If you can - find a place like NORTH STAR BONSAI in York, PA. The owner, known here as "TACHIGI" posts good advice and will be of great help if you visit him.

On a side note, I spent part of last weekend at a club bonsai show in Saratoga Springs, a terrific show in a wonderful art center. The exhibit hall was shared with a local ikebana society. The displays were so well interspersed with both bonsai and the beautiful floral arrangements. The thing that I noticed most was the pride of the club members who had their pieces on display. The show allowed "beginner trees" as well as those of great experience. We learn about bonsai from the ground up. It takes a lot of time to get to 'great bonsai', but the time spent - the journey - can be so fascinating and rewarding. Don't squander too much time with poorly cared for plant material from the dark bottom shelf of an uncaring big box store. Support the real bonsai growers in your region.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Hey I support the local nursery in PA called Waterloo by buying their starter plants which is fine. I beg to differ your point such that the decision rests on the consumer on how much they are willing to spend and I for one is an EL Cheapo who would not spend more than $50 on a bonsai no matter who grew it eventhough I make a pretty good salary.

I would recommend spending $14 buying some practice tree to learn on before shelving out the big bucks to buy something good. Mass produced trees are grown by people too, it's just grown from somewhere where the cost of living is lower. Similarly trained trees grown here will cost you at least 3 times that price.

TomM
Greener Thumb

You get what you pay for.

The local bonsai nursery will want to help you if you have a problem with their tree. They want you back as a customer. Their reputation is at stake. What will the clerk at IKEA do for you if the sickly tree croaks?

A little extra quality and good service is worth the extra cost. And buying locally is good for the 'local' economy. Nuf said.

Oh, BTW I don't make "a good salary", I get by on $10.80 per hour, but I spend it wisely.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

TomM,

I don't dispute what you said, just offereing another perspective. I hope the OP lives near the store you suggested so he/she can benefit from it. But my point was if I was a beginner which all over us were at one time, I would rather spend $15 on a bonsai which eventually dies instead of $50 tree. I'm also spending my money wisely. By the way small shops return policy can't compare to chain stores. I'm not sure about Ikea in particular but I do see people return dead trees to Lowes. Everyone's budget and value systems are different, so to each his own. Peace.

TomM
Greener Thumb

linlaoboo, I agree with you in many areas and appreciate your understanding.
madrose, I'm sorry we got so far off topic concerning the identification of your trees.

We sometimes express our passion for bonsai in ways that might lead one to think we've gone off the deep end! But it's all meant well and we find common grounds. There is an organization called the WORLD BONSAI FRIENDSHIP FEDERATION. It promotes peace and harmony through the love of our little trees and the respect we have for each other.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”