xoxo

First Bonsai: Ficus? How to care for it?

I bought a Bonsai from Wal-Mart Sunday. (All it said was "Bonsai")

I've never had a Bonsai anything before. This is all new to me! Basically, I'm going to type what I learned so far, and I hope someone will help guide and correct me where I need it.

I put the most important parts in bold incase you don't want to read it all. I type too much...

I've been researching Bonsai trees the past two days. I think my plant is a Ginseng Ficus?

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/bestestbuddy412/DSCF6262.jpg[/img]

I also read the glued pebbles had to go, which is quite obvious. So I decided to go ahead and repot the tree all together - not sure if it was a smart move, but I did it anyway. I soaked the plant first, which made removing the rocks a breeze, and then moved it to the new pot. I searched for proper Bonsai pots but not a lot to choose from at this time of year, so I just got this. (I just put a couple of the larger, nonglued rocks back for looks - not too many)

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/bestestbuddy412/DSCF6275.jpg[/img]

For sun, I've been lifting the shades in my room each morning. My windows are facing east, so it gets most of it's sun in the early morning. It's not right at the windows, so it's not real direct. I leave the shades up all day, so it still gets some sun during the day just not as bright.

For water, I only watered it when I repotted it. I plan on checking it daily. Once it's dries about 1/2" to 1", I know it's time to water it. However, I read a few different things about the watering part. Is it best to just water it from the top and soak it good once or repeat or sit it in a bucket or something of water for a length of time (of course, not covering the entire plant)? I've confused here cause I read different things on different sites.

For pruning, I read I should wait awhile since I'm inexperienced, but my first plan was to just wait a bit to see if it's doing okay, then prune it. How long should I wait? Mainly because it has some new growth near the bottom that's bothering me. There's about two small, new limbs developing and I kinda want to trim them before they have time to get any size (you can see a single leave at a side angle in the second picture on the trunk - it's bothering me! lol). Also, there is another larger limb, that I might want removed (I could wait on that if I should). It's too close to another limb, and I don't like that. I've trimmed other outdoor trees in the past, but I appreciate any opinions from people who have Bonsai trimming experience!

So far, I really like my Bonsai and kinda want to give it a name like some others I've seen online! lol I'm really excited, and if this one does well, I know I'll be wanting at least one more in the next year. They're so unique!

Thanks so much for reading! :)
Ashley

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ashley,

Hello, welcome to the forum and to bonsai. I agree with your identification of Ginseng Ficus. Just to clarify, your bonsai is properly known as F. microcarpa, 'Ginseng' is one of its common names.
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/GinsengFicus.html
Explore that site, there is much information there, especially on indoor growing.

Here, in PA, I keep my Ficus outside during the summer but inside when fall gets here. You could keep yours outside as well, perhaps not all year and perhaps not this year at all, considering it's kind of late in the season. For next year consider moving it outside when the weather settles, it will do much better there.
I soaked the plant first, which made removing the rocks a breeze, and then moved it to the new pot
Good move. For future reference, bonsai are usually potted in a much coarser mix than you might use for conventional house plants. There are good reasons for this, look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]here.[/url]

For now don't worry about that, luckily Ficus are more forgiving of soil composition than some other species. You must manage your watering more carefully though.
Is it best to just water it from the top and soak it good once or repeat or sit it in a bucket or something of water for a length of time (of course, not covering the entire plant)? I've confused here cause I read different things on different sites.
Either method can work but I think you will find that most growers advocate watering from above. This helps to flush out any accumulated minerals or salts. The ocassional soaking certainly will not hurt but it becomes increasingly impractical as your collection grows, and it will. :wink:
For pruning, I read I should wait awhile since I'm inexperienced, but my first plan was to just wait a bit to see if it's doing okay, then prune it. How long should I wait? Mainly because it has some new growth near the bottom that's bothering me.
You will seldom regret waiting to prune young material but you can easily get carried away and wish you had been more patient. To paraphrase and old saying "Prune in haste and regret in leisure." You can always cut them off later but it is not always so easy to re-grow shoots/branches.

Often new growers tend to remove all low branches in order to have their bonsai look more like a finished tree. This can be a mistake as one technique to make out trees look more mature is to shorten them. By removing low branches too early you limit your options. Patience, grasshopper. :)

When you do decide to prune know that these cuttings can root easily and provide you with more material. This will take a long time to get anywhere but it is an option.

Norm

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Norm is right about prunning. I would wait until you see new active top growth before trimming from the top and not from the bottom as you can remove the lower branches at any time but if you need them in the overall tree development later, you can't get it back. Once it adapted to your environment, I'd recommend placing it at a south or west facing window, especially through the cold winter to ensure it gets enough sun.

I recommend googling ginseng ficus bonsai or just ficus bonsai pictures online to see what aged and developed ficus bonsais look like and see what appeals to you, then go from there, but go slow. If the tree doesn't survive 1st, all bets are off, but this is the easiest types to start with and yours looks healthy. Good luck!

xoxo

Thanks a lot both of you! :)

manIK

Welcome to the forum xoxo.

I have the same species of tree that was purchased in 2008 from Home Depot. They are a hardy breed.

As has already been mentioned, for the fist few months, give it some time to settle into its new home and make sure it has sufficient light.

However do note that the tree is probably about 5 years old (maybe older) and as such, can take a little abuse - the species itself has a little extra hardiness as well and it can recover quite well from the most inexperienced mistakes.

Judging by the shape and it's current growth, at some point you should consider pinching off the top buds - this will encourage some back budding and branching further down the tree. Where currently there maybe a leaf or two sprouting from a spot on the branch, with a little pinching, it could bud again in those areas or turn a single leave into a branch. So rather than actually chopping off a branch or putting it through some level of defoliation, consider a little pinching and keeping the current growth - just directed a little.

If/when you're ready to start cutting off branches, do so with the leaves on the branch intact so you can root those and get more plants from them.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”