Luminya
Newly Registered

Beginner questions on Bonsai Keeping.

Hello, I'm new to this site and have enjoyed gardening for a while now. I have always loved bonsai but I'm not too sure if I'm the right person to keep them. First thing is that I don't have a lot of time on my hands for a lot of affection and care most bonsai need... that I why I stick to keeping cactus type plants and roses (I do know that roses need much care themselves).

I was wondering if there are any types of bonsai which you can keep with out too much care. I am able to give a few minutes everyday to the care of the bonsai but not any longer. The bonsai can be eitehr indoors or outdoors, but if it is outdoors summer in Australia can get very hot.

I have read a few books on keeping bonsai, so I know what I'm up against. Another question is what happens when you go on a holiday? Like a 2 weeks holiday overseas for example.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Howdy

Bonsai aren't as scary as roses in my book, so I'd say you were ready. You've headed down the right road by reading a good deal first; can't have too much information to start (unless you start going beyond beginning technique; a fault of mine early on).

You say you like cactus, so a jade plant (Crassula spp.) is a great beginners bonsai, as it is succulent (watering is not as big an issue and it takes out the worry of your other question as well as it would do fine for two weeks if you watered well before you jumped on the plane. You can't wire it, so truly it's more of a penjing (the Chinese use more of a clip and grow method), but it will give you the rhythm of keeping a tree and you can decide if you want to give it a further go...

Wow all your questions answered in a single plant; sometimes I even impress myself... 8) :P

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”