celia
Newly Registered

my sick juniper

About my bonsai juniper,

I have got a juniper that is 5 years old it ...I have got it in August its an special gift from a dear friend...it was exposed to the sun for long periods of time and now the leaves are totally brown sort of yellowish colour and as summer is approaching (sydney australia) I am putting it inside during the day and taking it out during the night I am very keen in making it recover so today I fertilize it with seeweed I am not sure the correct spell I was told its good and will cure my juniper...could you be so kind to reply as I am very worried...thanks celia

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Celia, a quick spin through the other threads on juniper should give you a thorough (if unwelcome) education on browning junipers. The news is not good, but if the other threads have anything to tell you, it's that you're not alone...

Sorry... :cry:

Scott

BIGGY
Newly Registered

Now I flipped through some of the threads, but tough to say if I have this problem as well. I have just a little bit of browning on some of the branches and leaves...others actually look very healthy. This seems like a very small amount and I would guess that it could be that way because the tree was not watered enough before I got it, but that would just be a guess. But, according to everything I've read...a little bit of browning from underwatering can still be corrected.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Absolutely correct Biggy. But as you cut off the dead tips look for the tell tale darkening in the heartwood that signals phomopsis, or juniper twig blight. Leaving that on the tree would be deadly. And wipe those pruners down with alcohol afterwards...

Scott

BIGGY
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Absolutely correct Biggy. But as you cut off the dead tips look for the tell tale darkening in the heartwood that signals phomopsis, or juniper twig blight. Leaving that on the tree would be deadly. And wipe those pruners down with alcohol afterwards...

Scott
I wonder if it's too early for me to cut anything. The brown is sparse and only in a few places...actually doesn't seem to be spreading, but it's interesting that there's sometimes just a small patch somewhere in the middle of the branch. But before or above it seems very healthy. Thoughts?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Twig blight starts at a tip (ANY tip) and works back; you're right, the symptoms are similar (in early stages) to lack of water, but taking off dead won't hurt it, and leaving it could be harmful, so....

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”