josh1812@live.com

New Bonsai

Hi all I wanted to know I have my Italian cypress but I don't know if it'l work its about 20in+ kind of tall and I accidentally cut of some useful branches are there any chances for it to grow back to a more full state since it's stripped of leaves?
And also I need a bonsai pot but I also want to purchase a ready made bonsai any suggestions or anything I should look out for in particular?

JTred
Green Thumb

Pictures would be a big help. Generally you don't really want to put a tree into a bonsai pot until you are happy with the size, mainly trunk width. As for ready-made bonsai, that all depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can get "Mallsai" at Walmart (Wal-sai?) for as little as 10 bucks. They are basically rootstock with a few branches growing out. Or you can spend several hundred dollars. A good tree for a beginner is ficus, jade, and schefflera, all species suited to indoor. I recommend ficus, they can survive harsh pruning and can handle beginner mistakes, and some species develop aerial roots that get very thick in a relatively short amount of time.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”