neil b
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm

Can anyone help please I bought a Chinese Elm Bonsai after reading an article that advised they were an ideal beginners tree. Well after nurturing it for two weeks it has started to die the leaves are all folding up and drying out. I have watered the tree with fertilizer strictly following the directions on the bottle but it is now a very sad looking Bonsai. Is there anything I can do to save this beautiful little tree? The soil seems moist enough the only thing I can think of is that it needs repotting!!! Very grateful for any advice SOON!
A colleague has suggested that it may only be settling in to its new environment and could possibly be reacting the way I have described!!! :cry:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Neil,

Can you provide additional details please? Is the tree kept inside or out, if inside do you have central air (or heat for that matter) If outside, where are you located? No need to be too specific.

How much light does it receive, how do you water? What is the condition of the soil peaty or gritty? Does it ever get a chance to dry out or is it constantly damp?

We really need more information in order to help. Pictures would not hurt either. If you need assistance posting photos look here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

P.S.

Also describe the fertilizer and the way you are using it, ratios and frequency of application.

neil b
Newly Registered

[quote="Gnome"]Neil,

Hi Norm, the is the tree kept inside although the advice followed is that I can let it enjoy some fresh air outside if temp is above 12 degrees but not in direct sunshine, there is no central heating on at this time of the year.

Indoors the tree is located in my hallway which has plenty of daylight, I water as directed when the soil which is peaty dries out. The condition of soil has not been allowed to dry out.

Unfortunately cannot provide pictures digi camera is broken.

The fertilizer is Tokonoma using a cap ful per litre of water

Thanks for your interest

Neil

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

neil,
Hi Norm, the is the tree kept inside although the advice followed is that I can let it enjoy some fresh air outside if temp is above 12 degrees but not in direct sunshine,
Often the directions provided by bonsai retailers is not entirely accurate. I have noticed that they tend to imply that trees are just as happy inside as out, unfortunately this is not always the case. While many trees can be kept indoors if managed properly it is often easier to keep them outside where nature can provide for them. The key phrase is if managed properly and this is not always easily accomplished, especially by beginners.

Some growers have no choice in the matter and other have no desire to grow outside so more and more you will see the term 'indoor bonsai' although I feel it is something of a misnomer. What all this boils down to is that if you are able, you will be better off keeping it outside, at least during the summer and fall. Don't believe the suggestion that a Chinese Elm can't handle full sun or warm weather, it can, I give mine the most sun I can manage.
I water as directed when the soil which is peaty dries out. The condition of soil has not been allowed to dry out.
I must admit that I find this somewhat contradictory. I'm not sure exactly what you mean and I'm still not clear on how you water. Pleas read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this sticky thread.[/url] Peat based soils can be difficult to manage properly. They retain water a long time but when they do dry they are difficult to re-wet. From your description of the dry leaves one might assume that it has not been watered often enough. This may not be correct however, if the roots have been compromised, due to watering too frequently, the same symptoms can result as the tree has lost its ability to take up moisture through the damaged roots.

Some new growers are under the impression that they should water very frequently but only in small amounts, this is incorrect. Others water by misting, thinking this will supply their tree with the required moisture, also incorrect. The sticky explains it pretty well and I suggest that you employ the chopstick method.

Here's what I would do, carefully unpot the tree and check the condition of the soil where you cannot see it. If it is dry then give the tree a good soaking, even possibly by the immersion method if necessary. If the soil is wet then obviously don't water. regardless, try the chopstick method it really works.

Put the tree outside if you are able. If you think the current leaves have a chance to recover then choose a fairly shady spot at first. If the leaves are dried out they will not likely recover so a brighter location will be better. This way the new leaves, if any emerge, will be acclimated to the higher levels of light from the start.
The fertilizer is Tokonoma using a cap ful per litre of water
I'm not familiar with this product but if you are using it at the correct ratio and frequency I doubt it is the problem. Since your soil is peat based it likely is holding fertilizer pretty well so I think I would let up on the fertilizer until the tree makes a recovery.

Norm

neil b
Newly Registered

Hi Norm,
Thanks so very much for your experienced advice, I will follow it to the letter and let you know if the tree survives. With regards to the winter period would you advise that I keep my Bonsai in my green house or indoors?
Kind Regards
Neil

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”