Sue
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm is Sick - Help!!!

I bought my first bonsai (a chinese elm) about 7 months ago. I purchased it from a stall in a shopping entre which I realise now was far from ideal, as it has training wire scars on its trunk and was in full leaf in November.

I keep the tree indoors on a west facing window ledge and away from direct sunlight. A couple of months ago it showed signs of black spot which I thought Id dealt with. The tree then started losing its leaves quite rapidly, which I assumed was natural wastage. However, now new growth gets to a certain point then shrivels up but does not drop off the branch. There is still new growth coming through but I know this has the same fate.

Is there any hope?!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yes, as long as there is new growth starting there is hope. Chinese elm (Ulmus parviflora) is a semi-deciduous tree that is often found in those mall carts, but would really prefer a dormant period over the winter. That would be my most adamant recommendation; that you start giving this tree as dormant period.

First let's rule out fungal issues; spray with neem oil (this will also rule out mites, which could be the problem as well; keep the tree in the shade right after spraying as oil can magnify sunlight). If we still don't get healthy growth after this treatment we'll talk about repotting, but first try this as it's a safe and wide angle approach. Good luck...

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

Hi,

I just bought my first Bonsai - a beautiful Chinese Elm. It's 8 years old, and the shop label says it's an indoor tree.

You mentioned that it "would really prefer a dormant period over the winter". How do I know if it's 'dormant'? It seems healthy looking and it's in full leaf.

I've always admired Bonsai, and finally got this one today. I really would like to keep it alive ( :D ), and I am so impressed to have found this forum.

James

:)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In full leaf is not dormant. A deciduous tree like Ulmus parviflora drops all its leaves with cold weather (just like the trees outside now). Dr. Dirr lists Ulmus parviflora as a Zone 4 to 9 plant so it would be happy outside as well as inside (I suggest happier with that dormant period).

Yours is likely a greenhouse plant, so don't toss it outside now, but wait for those just above freezinf evenings to start leaving it out (an abbreviated dormancy is better than none...)

Scott

critchy
Newly Registered

Thanks Scott!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”