Green

New chinese elm ?

I got my chinese elm about 3 weeks ago and put it outside. It has gotten down in the 30's a few times and not the leaves are falling off. They were green when I got it. I have brought it into the garage in when I am home and it gets that cold but I am not always home when it gets to those temps. Is my tree okay?

Also it seems like it needs to be repotted because the roots are coming out of the top of the pot, should I wait to repot it until it gets over the shock of the sudden seasonal change?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Green,

It will probably be OK. It may have been better to keep it inside until the weather warmed a bit. If you are planning to keep it as an 'outdoor tree' then next Fall it will be allowed to acclimate slowly and cold will not be a problem. But since this one came to you leafed out in early spring I'm pretty sure it came from a warmer climate or at least a greenhouse situation.

Snip the very tip from a shoot and look for green tissue. This will verify that the tree is still alive. Be careful about your watering, a defoliated tree will use less water than the same tree in leaf. Also the weather is still cool. Watch for small green buds where the old leaf stems attached to the branches, this is where new growth will occur.

The exposed roots are not necessarily a problem, they may even be a deliberate design feature. The term is 'nebari'. Now might be a good time to evaluate the soil though. It's spring, the tree is not in leaf and you have soil on hand.

Would you describe the soil as loose and gritty or dense and peaty? Does water flow through the medium readily or pool on top?

Norm

Green

The soil is pretty dense and as it dries it hardens. The water pools on top when I water it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Green,
The soil is pretty dense and as it dries it hardens. The water pools on top when I water it.
I'm not surprised, many mass produced trees are potted in an inferior mix. If I recall you have some better medium left over from your previous re-potting/s. Now might be a good time to re-pot into the free draining medium.

There is some concern in re-potting a stressed tree and nobody can tell you what to do especially long distance. It's a situation where it needs to be done eventually. It will also be stressful if you wait and do it when in leaf. I have done this with a Chinese Elm I purchased last Summer but it is a risk.

The other option would be to wait an entire season until either late this fall or next spring. Take your pick, each scenario presents a different set of risks/problems.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”